“Sex Abuse Archbishop” to Play Key Role in Celebrating Anniversary of Christianity in Poland
April 12, 2016
A former archbishop who resigned amid allegations that he forced homosexual attentions on trainee priests is to play a key role in a holy mass in Poznań marking the 1050th anniversary of the baptism of Poland.
Father Juliusz Paetz stepped down after the newspaper Rzeczpospolita published allegations of sexual abuse in 2002. The newspaper reported that the then archbishop’s ‘proclivities’ had been known by the authorities at his seminary for some time, and that former pope John Paul II was ‘shocked’ to hear the revelations.
Father Paetz denied all allegations of sexual abuse, yet resigned from his post as Archbishop of Poznań. He was banned from administering holy communion, preaching and acts of consecration.
Now, it has emerged that Father Paetz will play a key role in the mass celebrating the baptism of Poland. His participation has been defended by senator Jan Maria Jackowski, of the League of Polish Families party (Liga Polskich Rodzin), closely affiliated with the Law and Justice government and the Church in Poland.
Mr Jackowski told the news programme Kropka nad i (Dot the ‘i’) that the priest had the right to be co-celebrant at the mass marking Poland’s historic conversion, adding that the Church taught that ‘sinful men could improve’.
He said: “If the authorities of the Church that recognise [the participation of Father Paetz], then you should accept it.”