Lawsuit Revived in Case of Alleged Sexual Abuse by Lincoln Priest
August 26, 2016
LINCOLN, Ill. -- A man who says he was sexually abused by a Lincoln priest has cleared a legal hurdle.
The alleged victim claims he was abused by Rev. Norman Goodman of the Holy Family Catholic Church between 1991 and 1994.
The lawsuit had been barred because the statute of limitations ran out.
That was overturned Friday by an appellate court panel because the man says he repressed memories of the abuse until 2011.
"They said the statute of limitations in this case wouldn't have started to run until he was 18, but because he couldn't remember because he'd suppressed the knowledge of the abuse, it was further (held) until 2011. When he first came to know that the injury existed and that it was wrongly caused," said Jonathan T. Nessler, the alleged victimís attorney.
Despite Goodmanís death, his alleged victim is still suing the Catholic Diocese of Peoria, claiming they knew or should have known about the abuse but did nothing to stop it.
The diocese has not replied for comment.