Former Priest Accused of Raping Child Appears in Court
September 28, 2016
A former priest appeared in court Wednesday on rape and assault charges.
Michael Walsh, 80, also served as an altar boy coordinator in Dorchester.
Walsh was accused of raping a child in the late 1980s and 1990s when he served at St. Brendanís School.
The victim, now 38 years old, came forward and reported the abuse to law enforcement this past summer.
Prosecutors said the statute of limitations has not expired because Walsh has lived out of state for more than a decade, which puts the statute on hold.
Prosecutors said Walsh repeatedly raped the victim, who was in grade school at the time.
Walsh had been living in Florida and Michigan, where he became a priest in 2002, but was relieved of his duties months later when allegations were brought against him.
The archdiocese never revealed what those allegations were.
In court Wednesday, lawyers said Walsh will stay in the state and will face the charges, but warned that he is in poor health.