Guam priest makes further admissions
Radio New Zealand
November 6, 2017
|Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral Basilica in Guam|
A Catholic priest who admitted decades of sexual abuse on Guam has made further admissions in a depositions hearing.
Louis Brouillard, who is now 96, was on Guam between 1948 and 1981, and is accused of abusing dozens of children during that time.
The Guam Catholic Church is facing more than 140 lawsuits alleging decades of child sex abuse, but Father Brouillard is the only person to have admitted any crimes.
The Pacific Daily News reported that lawyers representing many of the plaintiffs met with Father Brouillard and his attorney last week for four days of depositions hearings.
One of the lawyers, Steven Reich, said the priest was mentally sharp and cooperative, and provided additional sworn evidence about abuse.
Father Brouillard was transferred from Guam to Minnesota in 1981 as accusations surfaced, but three recent lawsuits accuse him of bringing boys from Guam to the US mainland to continue the abuse.
Meanwhile, Mr Reich said an agreement was yet to be reached on the possibility of out-of-court mediation with the church.