Archdiocese of Hartford, retired priest sued again for alleged child sex abuse
By Mario Boone
April 18, 2018
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) - The Archdiocese of Hartford and retired priest Fr. Gregory Altermatt are both facing damning allegations of sexual abuse in a new lawsuit.
Attorney Tom McNamara has successfully sued this Archdiocese before.
He made the latest claims during a Wednesday morning news conference in downtown New Haven announcing the legal action.
"The sexual abuse actually started in the home in Bristol," McNamara said, referring to the alleged victim, Matthew Cornell. Then, he went on to lay out the shocking claims.
"The two counts against the Hartford Archdiocese are negligence and wanton conduct; and there are four counts against Gregory Altermatt, including intentional sexual assault, reckless and wanton sexual assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy," said McNamara.
Cornell is now in his 40's with a family of his own. Despite not personally attending the news conference, McNamara said Cornell is ready to step from the shadows and reclaim his power. "Everybody processes these things differently. He chose to go with his own name," he explained.
The lawsuit says the sexual abuse began when Cornell was 7-years-old and lasted until he turned 15. Some of it allegedly happened inside St. Anne's rectory in Waterbury where Altermatt previously served as pastor. McNamara says his client never told anyone until now because it was too painful.
"We seek compensation for emotional damages that were incurred by Mr. Cornell," McNamara told us.
Efforts to reach Altermatt were unsuccessful. Messages left with his attorney and lawyers for the Archdiocese seeking comment were not returned.