Two More Priests Linked To "Credible" Sex Abuse Claims In Northern Indiana
By Kurt Darling
October 9, 2018
Michael Paquet and Bruce Schutt, who are both no longer in the clergy, have been linked to three incidents between them.
Two more priests are being added to the list of 18 priests within the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend who are linked to credible claims of sexual abuse.
"The two additional names of priests who have served in the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend and have been credibly accused of at least one act of sexual abuse of a minor are Michael Paquet and Bruce Schutt," The diocese said in a news release. "Two more allegations have been added to the previously released name of Elden Miller."
Michael Paquet and Bruce Schutt have been linked to three incidents between them. The two priests have been removed from public ministry and the diocese for several years now.
Paquet, who had one accusation against him, was removed from public ministry in 2002 and given a new assignment outside the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend. The diocese did not elaborate on what that assignment was. He was dismissed from the clergy in 2005.
Schutt was linked to two incidents of sexual abuse 1965 and 1974. He was dismissed from the clergy in 1975 and his current whereabouts are unknown.
The Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend said it "stands firm in its commitment to investigate any allegation of sexual abuse by a member of the clergy."