Sexual Misconduct Allegations against Metro Detroit Priest Made by More Than One Person
October 11, 2018
7 Action News is learning more about sexual misconduct allegations against a longtime Metro Detroit Catholic Priest, Father Robert Witkowski.
Archdiocese Spokesman Ned McGrath says these are new allegations that came into the church earlier this year by more than one person. He says the church deemed them credible and have turned them over to the Wayne County Prosecutor.
He would not discuss any specifics about the allegations or when and where they allegedly happened except to say they go back to the early career of Witkowski.
But by turning them over to the Wayne County prosecutor, this is a clear indication the allegations are centered when Witkowski was in a Wayne County church. His work record released by the Archdiocese also shows he worked in Macomb County.
McGrath says Witkowski is restricted from any public ministry which also means he can no longer wear the collar of a priest.
In Michigan, there is no statute of limitations on sex crimes that rise to the level of First Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct. McGrath would not discuss whether these allegations would fit that category.
In 2002, the Archdiocese agreed to turn over any credible allegations to county prosecutors and Mc Grath says this is such a case.
Now, the archdiocese turns over all allegations to the prosecutors in the six counties.