Two more ‘credibly accused’ ex-clergy respond to Catholic sex abuse list: report
By Hanna Krueger
November 03, 2018
Two more of the 57 Roman Catholic ex-priests and deacons who were “credibly accused” of sex abuse in newly released files from the Archdiocese of New Orleans responded to their identification when contacted by WVUE television. John Sax and James Lockwood are among 14 former clergy members who are on the list and still alive.
Sax has admitted sexually abusing an altar boy when he was a priest at St. Peter Church in Reserve in the 1980s after a lawsuit was filed in 2001. He had been ordained in 1973 and served assignments in Metairie, Kenner, New Orleans and Reserve before being removed from ministry in 2004.
When asked Friday (Nov. 2) whether he was sorry, he told WVUE: “I’ve already done that 17 years ago. I apologized then; I apologize now. I’m sorry. I regret what I did. The name is correct that’s on the list. I’m sorry, that’s all I can say. I’m sorry, I regret it.”
Lockwood, a former deacon, had been assigned to the Center of Jesus the Lord in New Orleans and Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church in Chalmette. He was arrested in 1978 on charges of committing a crime against nature and contributing to the delinquency of a minor and removed from ministry the same year. His alleged victims were 11 and 12 years old and had been living at Burton Memorial Boys Home in New Orleans, where Lockwood was a counselor.
He told WVUE he thinks justice was served in his case. “I know one of the things, the problem, is some of the bishops covering up this, but I guarantee that wasn’t the case with me. I went through the court. Believe me, it was all worked out. I haven’t had any problems, and I haven’t had reason to look at this, like, it’s been actually, I think it’s been over 30 years,” he said.