Former Catholic priest convicted of raping altar boy on trial in York County
November 26, 2018
A former Catholic priest, who has already served a lengthy prison sentence for raping an altar boy, is now on trial in York County.
He is accused of molesting two boys in the 1980s.
The trial started with prosecutors laying out their case against Ronald Paquin, and the two alleged victims who will testify against him.
"I remember, the first time he touched me I was sitting on his lap driving his brand-new Toyota Cressida, at eight years old," alleged victim Keith Townsend said.
Speaking to CBS 13 last year, Keith Townsend claims he is one of two alleged victims, now coming forward to testify against their former priest and alleged abuser, Ronald Paquin.
The alleged victims say they were abused more than 30 years ago inside Paquin’s RV at a Maine campground.
"They would stay at that trailer sometimes alone and sometimes with other boys,” Prosecutor Justina McGettigan said. “But never with their parents."
The alleged victims say in the winter, the abuses would take place in a motel near the campground, but defense attorneys encouraged jurors not to rush to judgment.
"These allegations are horrific and it can be difficult to hear the charges and refrain from making a judgment very quickly," Paquin’s Defense Attorney Valerie Randall said.
CBS 13 is not naming the other alleged victim, but he testified Monday that when he was 14 and 15, Paquin would provide him with alcohol before abusing him.
Keith Townsend, who will also testify, says he hopes Paquin spends the rest of his life behind bars.
"Somebody like that, pure evil," Townsend said.
The judge says Paquin rejected some plea offers, choosing to go to trial instead. He also told the jury to prepare for a longer day of testimony Monday, in anticipation of a winter storm that could close the courthouse Tuesday.