3 Victims Come Forward with Allegations of Child Sex Abuse against Priest
News 12 Westchester
January 21, 2020
Three new victims are coming forward with allegations of child sex abuse against a Catholic priest who previously pleaded guilty to forming a sex club and molesting dozens of children.
Convicted child molester Father Edward Pipala is once again at the center of a child sex abuse scandal and alleged church cover-up.
"For decades, he was given license and permission by the Archdiocese and top officials to continue one of the most predatory paths we've seen, says attorney Jeff Anderson.
Anderson is the attorney who is now representing five of Pipala's alleged victims and live-streamed a news conference Tuesday from Manhattan about three new lawsuits filed against the Archdiocese under New York's Child Victims Act.
"By coming forward, we can expose the dangerous practices employed in the past and present by the Archdiocese, says Anderson.
Before his death, Father Pipala admitted to sexually molesting 50 children. Some of them in a secret sex club he formed while serving at Sacred Heart Church in Monroe.
If he admits to 50, that means there's hundreds out there. Some of whom were sworn to secrecy and all suffered in silence, says Anderson.
Pipala served seven years in prison for sodomy and sex abuse.
At the time, Pipala, who was then a priest at St. John's in Goshen, claimed the Archdiocese knew about his sexual misconduct decades earlier and sent him for psychiatric treatment before ultimately transferring him from New York City to the Hudson Valley.