Madison Diocese Determines 2nd Credible Sex Abuse Allegation against Former Priest
March 13, 2020
MADISON (WKOW) -- The Diocese of Madison says that they've received a second credible sexual abuse allegation against a former priest, according to an announcement Friday.
Bishop Donald Hying says they've determined that a second allegation of sexual abuse brought against Rev. Patrick Doherty has "the semblance of truth."
This comes after the Diocese announced another credible sexual abuse allegation against the former priest on January 17.
The allegation reportedly dates back to when Rev. Dorherty was a pastor in Boscobel about 45 years ago.
In January, Bishop Hying reinforced previously-applied restrictions on Rev. Doherty, who retired as a priest in 1993, "owing to publicly-known struggles with alcoholism and reported disreputable behaviors with adult men."
According to the Diocese, Bishop Hying has forwarded the case to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome for review and direction on further action.