Church, Archdiocese, School out of Sex Lawsuit
By Carol Hernandez
Dayton Daily News (Ohio)
July 14, 1994
Three of the four defendants have been dropped from a $ 12.25 million sex abuse lawsuit. The lawsuit, filed last year by a 28-year-old Kettering woman who alleges sexual abuse at the hands of a Roman Catholic priest, was against the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church in Kettering, Alter High School and the priest - the Rev. Daniel Pater.
The woman claimed she was seduced as a teen-ager in the 1980s by the priest. Pater, who was recently appointed as a Vatican diplomat in Zaire and was placed on leave of absence pending resolution of the charges, is the only defendant remaining.
"We're glad that that aspect of the suit is behind us and we can move forward," said Ray George, director of communications for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
Gregory Pratt, the attorney for the plaintiff, who is being identified as Jane Doe, said the Montgomery County Common Pleas Court decision was based on a recent state supreme court ruling that sets a statute of limitations. The ruling says a victim must file a complaint within one or two years, based on the case, after reaching age 18.
Pratt said he was not happy about the defendants being dropped and he vowed to appeal the decision after Pater's January trial.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.