Church Sued in Molest
By Ikimulisa Sockwell-Mason
New York Post
July 17, 2001
A Queens man who was allegedly molested by a priest as a child has filed a lawsuit against the New York City Archdiocese in an attempt to force the Catholic Church to crack down on abusive clergy.
Daniel Dugo, 30, said the suit he filed last week in Brooklyn Civil Court seeks no monetary damages but blames the archdiocese for ignoring abuses by its priests.
Dugo said he sued to publicize what's happening behind church doors.
"If people stop giving [to the church] and if they get embarrassed, they'll listen and say, aeWe have to put some policies in place and stop shoving it under the carpet,'" he said yesterday at St. Patrick's Cathedral.
Dugo said he was sexually abused by Father Patrick Sexton more than 20 years ago when he was a choirboy at St. Cecilia's Church in Brooklyn. Sexton has denied the accusations, but the Diocese of Brooklyn did offer Dugo $15,000 in a settlement.
The Diocese of Brooklyn said Dugo had approached them with his claim and requested payment for his years of therapy.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.