St. John's Abbey Says Lawsuit Filed Too Late

Associated Press State & Local Wire
July 12, 2002

St. John's Abbey claims the statute of limitations prohibits a lawsuit alleging abuse by two of its priests 15 years ago from going forward, according to a recent court filing.

The attorney for the abbey filed an answer to a personal injury lawsuit filed last month by Bill Quenroe against the abbey and the Revs. Dunstan Moorse and Allen Tarlton. The Order of St. Benedict also is named as a defendant.

The answer cites the statute of limitations and asks the court to separate the claims into individual lawsuits.

Some of the lawsuits filed against the abbey and some of its priests in the early 1990s were dismissed for violating the statute of limitations. Quenroe's lawsuit could meet the same fate.

Quenroe's attorney, Jeffrey Anderson, said the fact that the abbey conspired to hush Quenroe means the statute of limitations didn't expire.

Bob Stich, attorney for the abbey, was critical of Anderson for including in his lawsuit detailed allegations against priests other than those named as defendants.

He wrote the allegations are in the complaint "solely for the purpose of creating sensationalism, passion and prejudice."


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.