Priest Loses Job over Accusations

Orlando Sentinel
December 11, 2003

ORMOND BEACH A Catholic priest accused of making two obscene phone calls to an Ormond Beach woman has been stripped of his abilities to be a practicing priest in the Diocese of Orlando.

Father Stanley Staniszewski, who was a "helper priest" at Saint Brendan Catholic Church in Ormond Beach, was accused of making one call Nov. 1 and a second Nov. 2. The Ormond Beach woman who filed the complaint with the Volusia County Sheriff's Office earlier this month said Staniszewski, 60, called and made sexually explicit comments to her. Both times, she told investigators, she recognized Staniszewski's voice.

The complaint has been forwarded to the State Attorney's Office. Staniszewski has not been arrested. He could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Carol Brinati, a spokeswoman for the Diocese of Orlando, said Staniszewski was stripped of his "priestly faculties" in the Orlando diocese Nov. 11 and cannot work as a priest here. Brinati said Bishop Norbert Dorsey has asked Staniszewski to leave the diocese.

This was the only complaint the diocese has received about Staniszewski, Brinati said.

However, this is the second time in two years that Staniszewski has been stripped of his priestly faculties and asked to leave a diocese. In February 2002, officials with the Diocese of Sioux Falls, S.D., learned that "there were portions of his ministry history" that were not included in his resume, diocese chancellor Jerry Klein said.

"He had worked in other dioceses in this country, and we didn't know about it," Klein said.

Klein did not know the details or locations of Staniszewski's previous positions but said that diocesan officials became concerned when they learned that his previous posts had not been included in his resume.


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.