Priest under Restrictions for Abuse More Than 30 Years Ago
June 16, 2004
A priest who admits an incident of abuse more than 30 years ago has been placed under restrictions, including no contact with minors, a church spokeswoman says.
The Rev. Eugene Kreuzer served as priest at the parish of St. John the Baptist from 1971-93 and had been attending church there.
Kathleen Hohl, communications director for the Milwaukee Roman Catholic Archdiocese, said Tuesday that the ban on any contact with minors is among restrictions for Kreuzer.
"Restrictions have been placed on his confessional ministry and his ability to celebrate the Eucharist," she said. "He is to live out his life in prayer and penance."
The archdiocese recently asked Kreuzer to stop attending the church, and Kreuzer wrote a letter to parishioners telling of the sexual abuse allegation stemming from an incident in a different parish where he served.
Kreuzer confirmed Monday that the abuse took place during a fishing trip and involved alcohol consumption.
"It was at a time while I was drinking," he said. "I am very remorseful about it. I was the one who went forward to the bishop to ask for an indefinite leave of absence."
Kreuzer said he underwent testing for "abnormalities" and that it was decided he could continue in ministry.
"It was an isolated incident," Kreuzer said. "I had a perfect, ideal record after that."
Kreuzer was ordained May 31, 1952, and served as associate pastor of St. Anthony Parish in Milwaukee. According to archdiocesan records, he took a sick leave in October 1969 and was named pastor of St. John the Baptist March 30, 1971.
The Rev. Jim Volkert, the current pastor at St. John the Baptist, said that no other victims have come forward.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.