Inquiries Made into Priest's Past
Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Brighton - No lawsuits have been filed against a local teacher and priest who was recently accused of sexual misconduct in New York City. Aside from the alleged incident 24 years ago, no other allegations have been made, according to the New York Province of the Society of Jesus.
Father John Costello, who had taught off and on and served as chairman of the religion department at McQuaid Jesuit High School, was suspended from teaching and from performing priestly duties last week.
The alleged sexual abuse happened while Costello was teaching at Regis High School, a Catholic boys school in Manhattan.
Barbara Thompson, a spokeswoman with the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, said the office did receive a referral and is reviewing the allegations. She couldn't say anything more about the investigation.
The Rev. Richard Galligan, administrative assistant to the provincial of New York Jesuits, did not know how far the investigation had progressed.
The Jesuits spoke with Costello about his suspension of duties Thursday and notified McQuaid officials.
McQuaid officials said Costello left Rochester after his suspension. Galligan could not provide a phone number for Costello.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.