The Settlement Fund
Archdiocese of Cincinnati
An independent Tribunal, working with an experienced Administrator, will review and address each claim, with the awareness that such sexual abuse may cause life-altering impacts and health-related outcomes. The role of the Tribunal and its Administrator is to compensate victims in a respectful and rational way given the alternative resolution purpose of the Fund and the proceeds made available by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
In order to be eligible, interested persons must file a signed Claim Form with the Fund Tribunal. The Fund Tribunal must receive all Claim Forms by the deadline of September 1, 2004. The Claims Forms will be available after March 1st by contacting 1-877-482-8292 or by written request to the address below.
The Fund Tribunal will review all Claim Forms. All Claimants will receive written notification of the Tribunal's decision regarding his/her claim and any compensation he/she is awarded. The Tribunal's decision with respect to each claim will be final and binding. Depending on the final number of eligible claims, the total of all Fund Awards issued by the Tribunal may be less than $3,000,000. The total of all Fund Awards, however, cannot exceed $3,000,000.
Regardless of whether you submit a Claim Form, the Archdiocese will pay for therapy and counseling for victims of sexual abuse in need of such services. Arrangements for such assistance are made through the Chancellor of the Archdiocese. The availability of such assistance is not affected by participation in the Fund. Payments for these services do not come from the Fund.
If you have any questions, you may submit them to:
1. The Fund Tribunal must receive all Claim Forms by the deadline of September 1, 2004.
2. As individual Claim Forms are received, the Fund Administrator will begin the initial process of reviewing and evaluating each of them. No payments, however, will be determined until after the September 1, 2004 deadline has passed and the Administrator has had the opportunity to review each eligible claim.
3. The Archdiocese has agreed to provide the Fund Tribunal and its Administrator with access to its files that relate to your abuse and your abuser. In filling out the Claim Form, please indicate whether or not you believe there exists any information in the Archdiocese's files that you would like the Tribunal to examine. (There are blank pages at the end of the Claim Form on which you can write, "I would like to review any files related to my abuse and (abuser's name)). You or your representative can review this information at ____________ in order to find evidence relevant to your claim. However, such access will not include access to other victim's files or materials that are covered by any privilege recognized under Ohio law. If you choose, you may contact the Settlement Fund at 1-877-482-8292 to schedule an appointment to review such information.
4. After submitting a complete Claim Form, Claimants can schedule a personal conference with the Fund Administrator in order to discuss the information contained in the Claim Form or to present additional information. It is not necessary to ask witnesses to attend. Conferences with the Fund Administrator are not required; it is entirely each Claimant's choice. Also, neither the Fund Administrator nor the Fund Tribunal has the authority to compel any representative of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati to attend such conferences.
5. As soon as possible after the September 1, 2004 deadline, the Fund Administrator will submit to the Fund Tribunal an evaluation and the completed Claim Form for each individual Claimant.
6. Thereafter, the Tribunal may request further information regarding the claim from the Fund Administrator, the Claimant and / or the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
7. Any claimant who has first completed a conference with the Fund Administrator may request an additional conference with the Fund Tribunal. Similar to conferences with the Administrator, conferences with the Fund Tribunal are not required; it is entirely each Claimant's choice. The Fund Tribunal does not have the authority to compel any representative of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati to attend such conferences.
8. At any time during the process outlined above, the Fund Administrator or the Fund Tribunal may contact any person or institution named in the Claim Form to gather further information.
9. As soon as possible after the process outlined above is completed, each Claimant will receive written notification of the Tribunal's decision regarding his/her claim and any compensation he/she is awarded.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.