ERRATA NOTICE TO REPORT TO THE PEOPLE OF GOD
1. In the Summary, p. i, it states that there are 16 accused priests still
in ministry. The correct number should be 17. By oversight the report
did not consider Cardinal Mahony as an accused still in ministry.
2. The dates of abuse by Father Carlos Rene Rodriguez,
C.M., in the report at page 19 are inaccurate. The most recent date of
abuse alleged by any victim in any lawsuit is 1994 which is the date set
forth on page 5 of 7 of the list of accused priests.
3. Father Honesto Bismonte, an incardinated priest in
Los Angeles, should have been listed with two accusers and a period of
abuse of 1997-2001. Our source is Los Angeles Times article dated August
18, 2002. Pled to misdemeanor battery.
4. Franciscan Father Gus Krumm, O.F.M. with three accusers
and a period of abuse from 1980 to 1987 should have been disclosed.
5. The report lists two accusers against Father David Carriere.
There is actually only one accuser.
6. Brother Bernard Pleimann was incorrectly spelled as
Brother Bernard Ploughman.
7 . Father Patrick Purcell, O.P. (Dominican) should have
been disclosed. The incident dates are 1950 to 1951. He is deceased. He
has one accuser who has sued the Archdiocese.
8 . Father John Knoernschild, O. Carm. (Carmelites) should
have been disclosed. The incident dates are 1977-78. He has one accuser
who has sued the Archdiocese.
9 . Father Matthew H. Kelly incardinated in the Archdiocese
of Los Angeles has more than one accuser. The correct number of accusers
is four. The Archdiocese has been sued for alleged abuse arising from
10 . The list of accused indicates that the end date of alleged abuse
for Father Stephen Hernandez incardinated in the Archdiocese
of Los Angeles was 1985. However, based on a Los Angeles Times report
of August 18, 2002 allegedly based on information from the Los Angeles
Police Department, the period of abuse for one victim was from 1998 to
2002. The Archdiocese has not been able to confirm this period of abuse
directly with the accuser.
11. Father John Anthony Salazar, Sch.P., has a new allegation
from Texas. According to the Los Angeles Times article of February 20,
2004, Salazar has been charged in Texas with sexually assaulting an 18
year old college student in Texas in September, 2003.
12. The Archdiocese has been named in a lawsuit alleging that a Brother
Joseph and a Brother Louis Meyer of the Brothers
of the Holy Cross, Southwest Province each abused one person. The incident
involving Bro. Joseph occurred in 1965. The incident involving Bro. Meyer
occurred in 1968. However, the Brothers of the Holy Cross deny that they
have or have ever had any brother by the name of Louis Meyer and the only
Brother Joseph they can identify that fits the time and place of the allegations
is Brother Joseph Regan who died 15 years ago. A priest of the Congregation
of the Holy Cross which is a different entity from the Brothers of the
Holy Cross has been located named Father Louis Meyer, C.S.C. This may
be the person meant to be the alleged perpetrator in a suit filed in Los
Angeles Superior Court, Case No. BC308361.
13. The List of Accused does not list priests who at one time or another
happened to serve in the Archdiocese but who are accused of abusing while
incardinated or serving elsewhere and have never been accused of abusing
in this Archdiocese.
14. Father Jesus Jesse Dominguez was incorrectly listed
as a Salesian but he was a priest of the Diocese of San Bernardino. He
was never incardinated or an extern in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
15. Father Roberto Peguero, O.F.M., a Franciscan priest,
has been accused by two victims for abuse in 1987.
16. Father James Devaney, S.T. (Trinatarian) has now
been identified as an accused priest offender in a lawsuit. He has one
accuser alleging abuse in 1968-9.
17. Father John Joseph Hackett has now been identified
as an accused offender in a lawsuit. He died in 1988. He has one accuser
alleging abuse in 1969.
18. Father James Joseph Walsh has now been identified
as an accused offender in a lawsuit. He died in 1984. He has one accuser
alleging abuse in 1967-68.