Bishop denies witness’ abuse allegations
PHILADELPHIA (PA)
Philadelphia Inquirer
By Joseph A. Slobodzian and John P. Martin
Inquirer Staff Writers
Complaining that he was blindsided while on church business in the Vatican, the bishop of Wheeling-Charleston, W.Va., on Thursday angrily denied trial testimony in Philadelphia alleging that he sexually abused a child during the late 1970s.
“I have never sexually abused anyone,” Bishop Michael J. Bransfield said in a statement the diocese released.
Bransfield, 68, issued his statement after two witnesses at the child sex-abuse and conspiracy trial involving Archdiocese of Philadelphia priests referenced him while describing their own alleged abuse, and a prosecutor said Bransfield had been accused in a separate instance of fondling a minor.
On Wednesday, a 48-year-old man identified only as “John” in the 2005 Philadelphia grand jury report, told a Common Pleas Court jury how he was molested for more than six years beginning in the eighth grade…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed