Police act in the alleged rape of Archbishop John Hepworth by Catholic priest Ian Dempsey
AUSTRALIA
NEWS.com.au
Nigel Hunt
The Advertiser
September 14, 2012
THE STATE’S top prosecutor is considering whether there is enough evidence to charge Catholic priest Ian Dempsey with the alleged rape of Archbishop John Hepworth.
SA Senator Nick Xenophon caused a scandal last year when he named Father Dempsey in Parliament, after the Adelaide diocese of the Catholic Church had refused to suspend him.
In a major development, legal sources have told The Advertiser police now believe there is enough evidence to charge Father Dempsey with multiple counts of rape and indecent assault arising from incidents that occurred in the 1960s.
The police move to seek a legal opinion from the Director of Public Prosecutions Adam Kimber, QC, on the strength of the evidence gathered in the 10-month investigation indicates the investigation is in its final stages. The sources said Mr Kimber has asked Sexual Crimes Investigation Branch…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed