US bishops’ point man on sex abuse addresses Kansas City case
UNITED STATES
National Catholic Reporter
Sep. 11, 2012
By Joshua J. McElwee
In the wake of the first conviction of a Catholic bishop in the decades-long clergy sex abuse crisis, bishops throughout the country have to recognize they are accountable to their own people for their actions to protect children, the bishop who heads the U.S. bishops’ committee tasked with advising their national conference on sexual abuse said Tuesday.
Bishops also have to be “firm” in applying the procedures that the body of bishops adopted 10 years ago to prevent child abuse, said Joliet, Ill., Bishop R. Daniel Conlon, the chair of the U.S. bishops’ committee for the protection of children and young people.
Conlon spoke to NCR by phone from the sidelines of a meeting of the U.S. bishops’ administrative committee. He addressed last week’s conviction of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Mo., Bishop Robert Finn for failing to…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed