Mahony canceled Milwaukee appearance before sanction

MILWAUKEE (WI)
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

By Annysa Johnson of the Journal Sentinel

Feb. 6, 2013 3:05 p.m.

UPDATE: Retired Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahony, censured by his successor last week for his handling of the sex abuse crisis there during his tenure, will not speak as planned at a Milwaukee area priests conference in May, organizers said today.

The Archdiocese of Milwaukee said Mahony canceled his appearance weeks ago, along with all of his 2013 commitments, before his sanction and before a local priest called on Archbishop Jerome Listecki to disinvite Mahony in an open letter earlier this week.

Former Vice Chancellor and victim advocate Father James Connell of Sheboygan was responding to the announcement in an archdiocesesan newsletter distributed last week saying Mahony would be among the speakers. Archdiocese spokeswoman Julie Wolf attributed the incorrect information to busy schedules and crossed wires.

Instead of Mahony, Connell asked Listecki…