Steve Lopez: Removing Cardinal Mahony just a first step
LOS ANGELES (CA)
Los Angeles Times
Just when you think things can’t get much worse for Cardinal Roger M. Mahony, along comes a stunning rebuke from his successor, Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez.
“I find these files to be brutal and painful reading,” Gomez said of the molestation files Mahony tried desperately to keep out of the hands of police, even as known pedophiles claimed more victims. “The behavior described in these files is terribly sad and evil.”
So far, so good. But in The Times story on the decision by Gomez to distance the Archdiocese from Mahony, church spokesman and Mahony loyalist Tod Tamberg said the cardinal’s life would be largely unchanged and that he would remain “a priest in good standing.”
Excuse me?
How could he still be in good standing?
And why did it take until Thursday for the archdiocese to announce that Santa Barbara Auxiliary…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed