Vatican: Victim group wrong to criticize cardinals

VATICAN CITY
Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Associated Press

VATICAN CITY —

A church sex abuse victims group is acting out of “negative prejudices” when demanding some cardinals withdraw from the papal election, the Vatican spokesman said Wednesday.

The Rev. Federico Lombardi said at a news briefing that the criticisms raised by the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests are “well known” and cardinals already have responded.

The Survivors Network has said Cardinal Roger Mahony should withdraw from the conclave because confidential church files released last month showed the retired Los Angeles archbishop was among church officials who had shielded abusive priests and failed to protect children.

Mahony has apologized repeatedly for how he responded to abuse claims. His successor in Los Angeles, Archbishop Jose Gomez, stripped Mahony of his public duties. But the cardinal has said Vatican officials told him to participate in the conclave, which began Tuesday.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.