After rebuke by archbishop, Cardinal Mahony takes higher profile
LOS ANGELES (CA)
Los Angeles Times
By Teresa Watanabe and Harriet Ryan, Los Angeles Times
May 9, 2013
When Archbishop Jose Gomez stripped his predecessor, Cardinal Roger Mahony, of public duties for mishandling clergy sex abuse cases, a church spokesman said the retired prelate’s life would remain largely the same with one exception: confirmations.
No longer would Mahony preside at springtime rites in which teenagers receive the sacrament that marks full passage into the Catholic Church, the spokesman said.
But three months later, Mahony is back doing confirmations. Since Easter, he has officiated at eight services, including one last week in which he anointed more than 120 youths at a Wilmington parish.
His presence has caused controversy, with some parents threatening to pull their children from the liturgies and at least one parish priest asking that Mahony not attend. It has also raised questions about why Gomez’s rebuke…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed