‘Abuse’ probe to cover dead clergy
UNITED KINGDOM
ic Solihull
Aug 17 2013
The Diocese of York is to open files on deceased members of its clergy dating back more than six decades as part of an investigation into alleged cases of child abuse, it has been reported.
The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, has ordered that all relevant files from before 1950 to the present day be scrutinised and examined by an independent reviewer, the BBC said.
The archbishop said: “The damage done by the sexual abuse of children is immense and the passage of time does not in itself bring healing.
“Where young people are shown to have been betrayed by individuals in a position of trust and by the institution’s failure to protect them, it is for the church to acknowledge the hurt which has been done, to offer a full apology, and to prove, so far as is possible, that…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed