Advocates urge action on Vic abuse report
AUSTRALIA
9 News
Victims’ advocates are urging a swift, bipartisan response to the Victorian parliament’s landmark report on child sex abuse.
Advocacy group Commission of Inquiry Now (COIN) president Bryan Keon-Cohen said politicians must not await the outcome of the national royal commission when considering any recommendations made by the Victorian committee.
The report is due to be tabled on Wednesday after 12 months of submissions on the handling of child abuse by religious and other organisations, which began in October last year.
In November, then-prime minister Julia Gillard announced a royal commission into child sex abuse.
Dr Keon-Cohen said it would be a gross injustice if the state government deferred to the royal commission.
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed