Court Reverses Philadelphia Monsignor’s Conviction
PHILADELPHIA (PA)
Wall Street Journal
By Tamara Audi
A landmark criminal conviction of a Roman Catholic monsignor imprisoned for his handling of sexual-abuse allegations was overturned Thursday by a Pennsylvania appeals court.
A three-judge Superior Court panel ordered the release of Msgr. William Lynn, the first U.S. Catholic official ever convicted of a criminal charge related to the alleged coverup of sexual abuse of minors by other priests.
Msgr. Lynn, who served in the Philadelphia Archdiocese as a top aide to its archbishop, could be released as early as this week, his lawyer said. He already has served 18 months of a three-to-six-year sentence after a Pennsylvania jury last year found him guilty of child endangerment for allowing a priest accused of sexual abuse to continue to have contact with children.
In overturning his conviction, the court said it “cannot dispute” that there “was more than…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed