Archdiocese makes financial report public

MINNESOTA
Star Tribune

Article by: JEAN HOPFENSPERGER , Star Tribune Updated: February 13, 2014

Archdiocese releases an audited financial statement showing $6.2 million spent on clergy misconduct.

The Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis made public Thursday a detailed financial audit report, the first time it has provided more than a summary report to the public.

The report found a $3.8 million deficit, but concluded that as of June 30, 2013, “ the financial condition of the archdiocese is solid,” even with the liability stemming from the recent wave of lawsuits claiming clergy child sexual abuse.

The archdiocese spent $6.2 million over the past decade on costs related to clergy misconduct. That does not include settlements and other payments made by the archdiocese’s insurance company, the report said.

More than $2.3 million went to clergy abuse settlements when the victim was a minor; $1.8 million went to victim support for such things as counseling and therapy; and $566,000 was paid in legal fees.

Another $1.5 million went to the living expenses for priests who had been credibly accused of child sexual misconduct who were no longer in the ministry, the report said.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.