MINNESOTA
MinnPost
By Brian Lambert
Jean Hopfensperger of the Strib says, “The Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis made public Thursday a detailed financial audit report, the first time it has provided more than a summary report to the public. The report found the archdiocese spent $8.8 million over the past decade on costs related to clergy misconduct. That does not include settlements and other payments made by the archdiocese’s insurance company, the report said. More than $6.2 million was spent on cases involving misconduct with minors … .”
MPR says, “The archdiocese showed a $3.9 million operating loss in fiscal year 2013 compared to a $1.5 million operating surplus the year before. Officials attributed that loss to an increase in reserves the archdiocese might need to cover unknown future costs related to clergy abuse claims. The financial condition of the archdiocese is ‘solid’ even with that uncertainty, they said. … MPR News reported previously that internal financial reports showed the archdiocese used stealth accounts to pay nearly $11 million from 2002 to 2011 — about 3 percent of overall archdiocese revenues in those years — for costs tied to clergy misconduct under former Archbishop Harry Flynn and his successor, Archbishop John Nienstedt.” The poor and hungry are grateful…
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.