Religious bodies ‘undermined work of child abuse watchdog’

IRELAND
Irish Independent

16 FEBRUARY 2014

THE Government’s lead adviser on child protection has expressed “profound concern” after a former Catholic Church watchdog accused religious bodies of using “covert means” to limit its investigations.

The sensational claims were made by Ian Elliott, who authored several high-profile reports on the handling of allegations of child sexual abuse in various dioceses.

He told the Sunday Independent that the work of the National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church, which he led until last year, was being undermined by religious bodies consistently cutting its funding.

Mr Elliott believes that efforts have been made to curtail further probes by starving investigators of resources.

He said he could “see no justification” for this “other than a desire to limit the role of the board by covert means”.

The remarks have already prompted major concerns in political circles.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.