Marist Brothers made no effort to find paedophile’s victims, commission told

AUSTRALIA
Sydney Morning Herald

June 19, 2014

David Ellery
Reporter for The Canberra Times.

The Marist Brothers made no attempt to locate Gregory Sutton’s other victims after Canadian psychotherapists told them in 1990 he had possibly abused multiple children, a royal commission has heard.

Brother Alexis Turton, the then head of the order who has been accused of shipping Sutton out of the country on August 18, 1989, to foil a police investigation, is adamant he was aware of only one victim at the time.

“Certainly with today’s wisdom we would have done things differently,” he told Thursday’s hearing of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

Another former Marist Brother, Denis Doherty, has previously told the commission that he told his superiors of concerns about Sutton decades before his crimes were exposed.
Advertisement

Mr Doherty’s lawyer, Timothy Kernaghan, put it to Brother Alexis…