Updated: Crown seeking 12 months for cleric convicted of sex crimes
CANADA
Metro News
By Steve Lambert
The Canadian Press
WINNIPEG – A former Orthodox priest facing possible jail time for molesting an altar boy expressed empathy Wednesday toward his victim.
“Having read the victim impact statement, I felt extreme sadness and pain in my heart that he was feeling those things,” Seraphim Kenneth Storheim said in a brief address at the end of his sentencing hearing.
Storheim also said he will pray for the victim “even more” from now on.
The 68-year-old former cleric was dressed in simple black clothing that contrasted with his long white beard. He sat quietly throughout the hearing before making his statement.
The Crown requested a 12-month jail sentence for Storheim, who was convicted in January of one count of sexual assault on a boy who was living and working with him in Winnipeg in 1985. The boy had been sent to live…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed