Church commissioner: ‘independent’ from Melbourne archdiocese
AUSTRALIA
The Australian
AUGUST 19, 2014
Pia Akerman
Reporter
Melbourne
THE QC leading the Melbourne archdiocese’s response to victims of clergy sex abuse has rejected claims his title of “independent commissioner” conceals the church’s proximity to his role.
Peter O’Callaghan QC has today given evidence at the royal commission hearing examining the archdiocese’s Melbourne Response process.
Mr O’Callaghan, who has been independent commissioner since the Melbourne Response began in 1996, told the commission he “absolutely”
believes he is independent from the archdiocese, though he is funded by it and uses the same instructing solicitors.
“I believe I have been independent in all respects,” he said.
“So far as I’m concerned, I make the decisions without fear or favour and without any influence from other persons.”
Victims who wish to seek compensation from the archdiocese under the Melbourne Response, established by then Archbishop George Pell, are required to…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed