Ursuline Sisters: Latest settlement talks in sex abuse case fail
MONTANA
Ravalli Republic
By LISA BAUMANN Associated Press
HELENA – Settlement talks earlier this month between the Ursuline Sisters of the Western Province and hundreds of people who claim they were sexually abused by priests and nuns have failed, attorneys said Wednesday.
Molly Howard, an attorney for some of the plaintiffs, filed a report Tuesday in Lewis and Clark County District Court saying the parties were unable to resolve the case through discussions ordered by Judge Jeffrey Sherlock in June. It was the third attempt at a settlement between the parties with a mediator involved, Howard said.
“We didn’t have a lot of confidence,” Howard said of the talks. “This was unsuccessful.”
Ursulines attorney Thomas Johnson said the two sides remain fairly far apart although the nuns were able to bring more money to the table after a lender said they’d put up money against the Ursulines property.
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed