Vatican defrocks 3 priests over sexual misconduct

OHIO
Cincinnati Enquirer

Dan Horn, dhorn@enquirer.com 3:46 p.m. EDT October 28, 2014

The Vatican defrocked three Greater Cincinnati priests Tuesday because of sexual misconduct with children that occurred more than a decade ago.

The decision permanently removes the men from the priesthood and is the final step in the Roman Catholic Church’s slow, methodical process of evaluating abuse cases and handing out discipline.

All three priests — Thomas Kuhn, Thomas Feldhaus and Ronald Cooper — had been on administrative leave for years and had been barred from saying Mass and performing any priestly acts. The Vatican’s move to dismiss them “from the clerical state” means they can never again present themselves as priests.

“I hope that this resolution will bring some measure of closure and healing to anyone harmed by these priests,” said Cincinnati Archbishop Dennis Schnurr.

Schnurr said the decision Tuesday resolves the last of the clergy abuse…