Australia’s top rabbi resigns after giving evidence at sex abuse royal commission
AUSTRALIA
The Guardian
Melissa Davey
@MelissaLDavey
Sunday 15 February 2015
The most senior rabbi in Australia has resigned, days after appearing before the royal commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse.
Rabbi Meir Shlomo Kluwgant, the president of the Organisation of Rabbis of Australasia, stepped down on Monday morning, the immediate past president, Rabbi Moshe Gutnick, confirmed.
Child sexual abuse victims said Kluwgant’s position was untenable after the commission heard on Friday that he had called the father of three sons who were sexually abused a “lunatic” who was guilty of “killing” the Orthodox Jewish Chabad community within which his sons had been violated.
Zephaniah Waks told the commission how he and his family were ostracised and bullied by religious leaders after speaking out about the abuse within Chabad’s Yeshivah centre headquarters in Melbourne.
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed