Pope Francis accepts Scottish cardinal Keith O’Brien’s resignation
SCOTLAND
The Guardian
Mark Tran
@marktran
Friday 20 March 2015
Pope Francis has accepted the decision of the former leader of the Roman Catholic church in Scotland, cardinal Keith O’Brien, to step down from clerical duties over allegations of sexual misconduct.
O’Brien will retain his title, but he will be reduced to strictly private life. The resignation followed the decision by the pope to send a personal envoy, archbishop Charles Scicluna, to Scotland last year to investigate the allegations.
Francis reached his decision based on the inquiry. Its contents are only known fully know only to the pontiff and Scicluna. O’Brien’s decision followed a private discussion with Francis.
“I wish to repeat the apology which I made to the Catholic church and the people of Scotland some two years ago now on 3 March 2013,” O’Brien said in a statement. “I then said that there have been…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed