Catholic order fails to expel pedophile after $1.5m fees
AUSTRALIA
The Australian
TESSA AKERMAN, JOHN FERGUSON THE AUSTRALIAN MAY 23, 2015
The Catholic Church has failed to expel jailed pedophile Robert Best from the Christian Brothers and the order has paid more than $1.5 million to cover his legal fees.
The fee to defend the child abuser is about half the total amount the Christian Brothers have paid in compensation to scores of victims of abuse in the scandal-plagued Ballarat diocese in western Victoria.
Best was jailed for 14 years and nine months in 2011 for abusing 11 boys, most of them aged between eight and 11, in Ballarat, Box Hill and Geelong between 1969 and 1988.
Despite this reign of terror, the Oceania province leader of the Christian Brothers, Brother Peter Clinch, said yesterday he had been told it was a “very complicated and lengthy” process to have someone expelled from the order.
“That’s where I left…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed