Church official’s conviction over complaints reversed again
PHILADELPHIA (PA)
Salina Journal
By MARYCLAIRE DALE Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA — The landmark conviction of a Roman Catholic church official imprisoned over his handling of abuse complaints in Philadelphia was overturned Tuesday for the second time.
The state Superior Court ruling awarded a new trial to Monsignor William Lynn, who has been on a legal roller coaster since his 2012 trial on child endangerment charges.
The appeals court said the trial judge erred in allowing about 20 other victims of sex abuse by clergy to testify about how their complaints were handled by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The judges said the trial court “abused its discretion by admitting a high volume of other-acts evidence.”
Lynn was convicted of endangering a boy who said he was assaulted by two priests and a teacher, including a previously accused priest who was transferred to his parish.
The 64-year-old has been back in…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed