Pope condemns child abuse, urges peace in Syria
VATICAN CITY
Crux
By Crux Staff
May 1, 2016
ROME— Pope Francis on Sunday condemned every form of child abuse, calling it a “tragedy” that can’t be tolerated, and also asked all the parties involved in the Syrian conflict to respect the cease fire.
“[Abuse of minors] is a tragedy,” Francis said as he led the thousands gathered in St. Peter’s Square for the weekly Regina Coeli prayer.
“We mustn’t tolerate abuse against children,” the pope said. “We must defend them, and we must punish the abusers severely.”
The pontiff was speaking off-the-cuff after thanking the Italian Association Meter for the work they do in the fight against pedophilia. The institution was founded in 1989 by Father Fortunato Di Noto in the northern region of Sicilia, and has since then fought child abuse and also on-line child pornography.
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed