Martin links Maynooth controversy to handling of child sex abuse
IRELAND
Irish Times
Ciarán D’Arcy
Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has linked the issue of gay activity involving seminarians to the treatment of sexual abusers in the Catholic Church, and has challenged authorities to show that Maynooth “has its house in order”.
Dr Martin stood over comments he made last week that a “poisonous” atmosphere had prevailed at the national seminary, and said the decision not to send three seminary students from the Dublin Archdiocese there was taken in June.
Controversy erupted last Monday when allegations of homosexual activity, sexual harassment and the use of gay dating apps among seminarians at Maynooth surfaced.
“I believe when I see something that I am not happy with, that I would be very foolish not to take action about it,” he told RTÉ Radio’s This Week programme.
“One of the things that I constantly recall in the child sexual abuse, which is…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed