Records: Priest admitted in 2007 to using parish checks for home construction
MICHIGAN
Lansing State Journal
Beth LeBlanc, Lansing State Journal
July 12, 2017
A decade before he was charged with embezzlement, Rev. Jonathan Wehrle admitted to writing checks from St. Martha Parish to pay for the construction of his $1.48 million home.
In November 2007, Wehrle told lawyer Michael Ryan that at times he transferred money from his personal accounts to the church’s account, then issued checks from the church’s account for personal use.
“Why would you do that?” Ryan asked, according to the transcript from the 2007 deposition.
“Convenience,” Wehrle said.
Police and prosecutors have alleged Wehrle used money from St. Martha Parish to pay for work and materials at his Williamston home. At a hearing last week, Assistant Ingham County Prosecutor Andrew Stevens said an ongoing audit estimates about $5 million is missing from the parish.
Wehrle’s attorney argues there was an understanding between Wehrle and the Diocese…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed