Justin Welby under pressure to overhaul approach to church sex abuse survivors

ENGLAND
Christian Today

December 4, 2017

By Harry Farley

The Archbishop of Canterbury is facing a mass call to overhaul the Church of England’s approach to sex abuse survivors after his letter to one victim was branded ‘painful’ and ‘disappointing’.

‘Gilo’, a survivor of clerical sex abuse whose surname is withheld to protect his identity, wrote an open letter to Justin Welby urging him to abandon the Church’s insurer, Ecclesiastical Insurance Group (EIG), in the wake of a scandal over its ‘derisory and heartless’ treatment of victims.

Welby replied last month and said the ‘complex issues’ Gilo raised were being addressed through a mediation process and said the question of mandatory reporting of abuse, which Gilo called for, was a ‘complicated question’ and ‘not as straightforward an issue as is sometimes suggested’.

But in a longstanding row over how seriously the Church takes allegations of abuse, Gilo said the…