POPE FRANCIS RECEIVED CHILEAN SEX ABUSE LETTER
VATICAN CITY
The Tablet
February 5, 2018
By Christopher Lamb
Pope Francis’ handling of clerical sexual abuse is once again coming under scrutiny following news that he was handed a letter from a Chilean abuse victim which detailed the survivor’s ordeal and that a future bishop witnessed it.
The news of a letter, reported by the Associated Press, contradicts the Pope’s insistence that victims of Fr Fernando Karadima had not come forward to complain about a cover-up by Bishop Juan Barros, who Francis appointed to lead the Diocese of Osorno in 2015.
“You, in all good will, tell me that there are victims, but I haven’t seen any, because they haven’t come forward,” Francis told journalists on the plane returning to Rome at the end of his six-day Latin America trip at the end of last month. He also said on the plane: “No one has come forward. They…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed