Archdiocese estimates 400 sexual abuse claims filed by March 1 deadline
Plaintiffs’ attorney Jeff Anderson said he believes 400 claims is relatively low for the church in New Orleans.
Roughly 400 people who allege that they were sexually preyed upon by local priests and deacons went to bankruptcy court and sought compensation from the Archdiocese of New Orleans before last week’s deadline for victims of clerical abuse to file such claims, church officials said Thursday.
The announcement provides some clarity about the number and potential value of remaining clerical abuse cases that the archdiocese will have to settle or litigate before it can reorganize its finances, a process that started when the church filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last May.
March 1 was the final day a sexual abuse claim could be filed in the case, which is the only avenue for compensation for anyone who alleged sexual abuse by clergy or other church officials that took place prior to the…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed