Bartlett pastor reinstated after archdiocese says it found insufficient evidence of sex abuse

The pastor of a Bartlett church is being reinstated after an investigation found insufficient evidence to prove allegations of improper conduct, Cardinal Blase Cupich said in a letter Saturday.

The Rev. Christopher Ciomek was asked to step aside from his duties as pastor at St. Peter Damian Catholic Church in April so authorities could investigate allegations he sexually abused a minor about 30 years ago.

The Archdiocese of Chicago, with the help of an unspecified independent agency, investigated the allegations, the letter said, adding that Ciomek fully cooperated. The archdiocese also conducted a review of Ciomek’s fitness for ministry, Cupich said.

“Based on our investigation, the Archdiocese found insufficient evidence to verify the allegations against Father Ciomek,” Cupich said. “I am hereby informing you that I am reinstating Father Ciomek as your pastor effective immediately.”

Ciomek had been directed to live away from the parish while the archdiocese investigated. The…