Diocese clears priest of abuse allegations, assigns him to Auburn parish

The Rev. Robert Vaillancourt spent roughly one year on administrative leave while church officials investigated allegations of sexual abuse in the 1980s. The diocese said in July that these allegations have not been substantiated.

A Maine priest who was recently investigated after sexual abuse allegations were lodged against him has been cleared by the diocese and was assigned to a new parish in Auburn on Monday.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland said it determined last year that the allegations against the Rev. Robert Vaillancourt were unfounded. No criminal charges have been filed.

Vaillancourt was serving several churches in the Midcoast area under St. Brendan the Navigator Parish when he was placed on leave in July 2021 while the diocese investigated claims that Vaillancourt abused a child more than 30 years ago.

The diocese has not publicly released where that alleged abuse took place.

A…