Activists urge Pope to sanction DR Congo priest accused of sex abuse
Congolese and foreign activists on Monday (Jan. 30) called on Pope Francis to sanction a priest accused of sexually abusing a minor in the Democratic Republic of Congo where he is to arrive this Tuesday (Jan. 31).
A girl identified as Marie recounted to reporters via video conference how she was raped nearly two years ago by a priest from the Tshumbe diocese in the centre of the country, when, at the age of 14, she was “aspiring” to become a consecrated religious.
Marie said she informed church authorities in DR Congo at the time.
Since then, she claimed she was “not living in safety, everyone around me is under threat.”
“It’s a serious case,” Tim Law, founder of Ending Clergy Abuse (ECA), told a press conference in Kinshasa, where his NGO is seeking to give a voice to victims of sexual abuse by members of the clergy.
“It’s your…
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed